Here is the interview I submitted to my group and was in our Boston Handmade Blog - enjoy!
BH: Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff)
- Photo quality: Brighten up your images if possible - always use neutral background and make sure you never display blurry pictures - the first picture should have a full image of your product.
- Always use 5 pictures and all 14 tags when listing - in 1 of your 14 tags should be your Etsy shop name. When listing items that would be "used a certain way" ie: cards, suncatcher etc. make sure to have different angles (inside, back of cards... maybe the suncatcher hanging in a window) so customers know what they are buying and how the product looks/functions.
- Shop announcement - have a catchy tag to draw people in - but keep it short as well. You can have all the dirty details in your profile.
- Having a complete profile with all your terms and conditions: very, very important as it protects you as a seller and the buyer as well.
- List as often as you can - and relist at least 1 item a day - best time is after 5:30PM.
- Get involved in the forums and chat - forums first and foremost - take part and also start forum discussions and some of the Saturday games that take place.
- Find communities outside of Etsy - start a blog, join myspace and indiepublic and so on...promote, promote, promote! When you are established enough - join an Etsy Street Team!
- Shop banner and avatar - Make sure you have a shop banner that promotes what you do - and that your avatar is clickable!
- Make sure to set up you sections and categorize your items so customers can easily navigate your store without having to go through the pages.
SeaGlassThings: The Secret and I have started the Law of Attraction. We can have anything we desire - we just have to believe it and in ourselves!
SeaGlassThings: Least favorite movies: Top Secret and Passage To India. Favorite Movies: The Lost Boys and Flatlinners... oh and many more!!!
BH: Is there anything about you that would surprise people to know?
SeaGlassThings: When I was in high school I played basketball – we had a fundraiser in which we invited members of the New England Patriots to play against the varsity team in which I was on. I was defending John Stevens as he was going in for a lay-up… I leveled him and he fell like a ton of bricks on the court… stopped him dead in his tracks from scoring… he was probably twice the size of me. Needless to say he was NOT very happy with me. HA!
BH: Where do you see yourself in 5 years with your art ?
SeaGlassThings: I hope to be doing exactly what I am doing - but on a much larger scale. I am hoping to apply for grant money in the near future to take things to the next level!